One of the most prestigious sports events that Australians are religiously following is the Australian Football League. Almost all Australian football clubs across the country were preparing for this highly anticipated match. And with just the recent concluded match, you might be wondering which Australian football teams prevailed and which were not? We’ll tackle that on, later! 😉
But for those of you who are wondering what AFL is, we’ll share with you a brief history and background of it.
Australian Football Clubs History
The AFL was formerly known as Victorian Football League that served as a breakaway from the previous Victorian Football Association (VFA). This pre-eminent competition started its inaugural season in 1987. As its name states, the competition originally included Victoria football clubs and Melbourne soccer clubs. Until late 1990’s, where the competition started expanding interstate. Canberra football clubs, Adelaide soccer clubs, among others were invited to join the competition.
After its successful interstate season kickoff, the name was changed to what you know now as “Australian Football League”. Every year, all the football clubs across Australia were participating in this renowned event to try and grab the championship.
And this year 2016, the AFL league just finished a promising match with outstanding performance. Here are the teams that had prevailed during this season.
Australian Football Clubs Winners (Updated as of October 30, 2016):
1. Western Sydney Wanderers – a football club in Sydney and is a major force of football club in Australia and Asia. The team earned a whopping 1410 points this year! Aside from that, this team also won renowned A-League Premiership and an AFC Champions League titles in the football world.
2. Melbourne Victory – this team gained around 1398 points this season, uplifting their rank to 2nd place. They also compete in the world’s premiere A-League under licence from Football Federation Australia. It is also the only Victorian-based team who participated its inaugural founding season.
3. Brisbane Roar FC – A competing team based from Brisbane, Queensland. Brisbane Roar FC holds the record of being the longest unbeaten run at the top level of any Australian football code, which stands at 36 league matches without defeat.
4. Adelaide United – Adelaide United holds the record for the largest win in an A-League game and the most goals scored in one game. Adelaide defeated North Queensland Fury 8–1 at Hindmarsh Stadium on 21 January 2011.
5. Sydney FC – The club has won two A-League Championships (in 2006 and 2010) and one Premiership (2009–10) and is the only A-League club to have won the OFC Champions League (in 2005). Since 2006, A-League teams have competed in the AFC Champions League.
Indeed, this season ended with an explosive and thrilling match! We congratulate all teams who have won and participated the event! You all deserved it! If you haven’t found your Australian football club on the list, start adding your listing on ClubSearch. We’re also looking forward to another great season next year!